Inputting and matching payments is an important function for keeping track of your accounting.
In order to indicate that you have received a payment from a client, you must first access their account.
- Click on the Clients tab.
- Use the search field to find the desired client.
- Click on the client’s name to access their account.
- Make sure you are in the Client Billing sub-tab.
Enter a payment not associated with an invoice
- In the Operations menu, choose Add payment.
- Enter the amount.
- Select the payment method. If you are entering an offline payment, you will have the opportunity to provide additional optional information.
a) Details: will be displayed as an info bubble next to the payment type.
b) Information: will be visible by the client and admins on the receipt.
c) Admin comments: will be visible by admins only on the receipt and will also appear in reports.
MATCHING THE PAYMENT TO AN INVOICE (RECONCILING THE PAYMENT)
- Locate the invoice your client is paying.
- Click on the invoice number or on the on the right-hand side to reveal additional information.
Click on Add payment, on the right-hand side. The screen expands and reveals a new section.
a) Select (or enter) the amount paid.
b) Choose the payment method.
- Credit card
- Other form of payment (for checks, cash, credit or debit cards on your own terminal or balance transfers from another system).
RECONCILING A SINGLE PAYMENT WITH MULTIPLE INVOICES (BULK PAYMENTS)
A client whose balance owing is made up of several unpaid (or partially-paid) invoices could want to pay them all off at the same time. This is where the Bulk Payment feature comes in, allowing you to reconcile a single payment with multiple invoices in the same operation.
- Go to the Client Billing tab of the customer’s account.
- In the Operations menu, choose Bulk Payments.
- Select the payment method and enter the amount paid.
- Check the boxes next to the invoices with which this payment should be reconciled.
- Click on Save.
Heads Up! E-checks cannot be used to make bulk payments. This feature is not compatible with the processing delay that accompanies e-checks, as a bulk payment supposes the immediate reconciliation of all associated invoices.