Apply a discount on any item in your store based on your participant's address.
One way of boosting an organization's business and reputation is through the use of promotions. What better way to attract new and existing customers in your community than to offer them location-based discounts?
The Community Segments feature allows you to:
- Import address lists;
- Create segments from your address lists;
- Create bounded segments using a map;
- Manually add addresses to your segment(s);
- Create Promotions to be applied based on a participant's validated address;
- Verify your participant's address;
- Filter for participants by segment.
Here are some terms you'll see when using this feature:
- Community Segments: A segment is a group of addresses that are brought together so they can be manipulated in a certain way. In this case, you will import a list of addresses or create bounded segments of addresses which are eligible for a promotion. Create segments for specific cities, boroughs, and streets directly from your address list.
- Address Validation: You may have noticed some changes when you or your client input an address in Amilia. To ensure the integrity and standardization of client addresses, we validate them using Google's API. An address must be validated to be eligible for a Community Segment promotion.
- Address Verification: Organizations may ask for physical proof of where a client resides. Amilia provides a place within the client's account where you can confirm proof was given. This can be found via the Clients>Client file>Account Members subtab, under a member's Address section. We aim to automate this part in the future.
- Resident: A client with a validated address that matches a record in your community segment.
How it Works
- Add, edit or remove an address
- Export, import and/or delete a segment
- Search for participants by segment
- View the Map
Segments can be created in two ways:
- By importing a list which contains your resident addresses; and/or
- By adding a bounded segment using the map.
This doesn't mean all your clients necessarily live at all of these addresses. These are addresses which are eligible for a promotion should your client reside at any you've included in your segment and have been validated by Google. Create as many segments as needed.
Via the Community Segments subtab:
- Download the snazzy template.
- To add additional segments, click on the drop-down and select +Add a segment.
- Fill out the template.
- Once finished, name your segment, attach your template and Import.
- NOTE: If you offer a promotion based on specific locations, you'll want to create a segment for each location (ex: per city, municipality, etc.).
Addresses are validated using the Google API. If no record of the address is found in the Google database, it will not be imported. Accurate addresses are still imported. A client must have an address that matches Google's database in order to be awarded a promotion.
Export the list of faulty addresses to make corrections to your original template and re-import.
This type of segment is created by searching for a city or area on the map. All of the addresses inside the boundaries you search will be added to the segment.
Via the Community Segment subtab:
- Click Add a bounded segment.
- To add additional bounded segments, click the drop-down and select +Add a bounded segment.
- Type in the name of the city or area of interest and click Search.
- A list of potential areas will display. Add a check mark next to the desired locations.
- You can add multiple boundaries within a segment by using the Search bar.
- Boundaries that are included in the segment are displayed to the right of the map.
- Click the X icon to remove a selected boundary from the segment.
- Name your segment appropriately if necessary.
- Create your bounded segment when finished. Create as many as needed.
Amilia keeps track of the addresses within a segment in addition to the number of clients whose address is validated by Google and included in the segment.
- Imported Addresses: The number of addresses that were imported or manually added to the segment. NOTE: Bounded segments do not display the number of addresses.
- Current Residents: The number of clients whose validated address matches an address within the segment. Click here to learn more about how clients validate their address with the Google API.
Use the Address Search bar to check if a specific address is included in your segment's list of Imported Addresses. You can also make changes to addresses in your segment, however, this only affects the record in the segment you are working on.
You cannot search, add or edit an address in bounded segments.
When working with an imported segment:
- Address Search: Type an address. Google will check if the address exists in its database.
- Enter Address Manually: Add individual addresses manually to your imported segment. If the address auto-populates, then it has been validated by Google.
- Remove address: If you need to delete an address from your imported segment.
- Edit: If an address in your imported segment requires changes.
- NOTE: Google cannot validate an address if it is edited or if no auto-fill happened while adding it manually to the segment. This means that if a client shares an address that Google cannot find it in its database (perhaps you made a typo during input), they will not be eligible for a promotion.
Export, import new addresses or delete your imported segment by clicking the icon.
- NOTE: Importing additional addresses to your segment will not remove the existing addresses. The tool also identifies duplicates and discard them.
Delete your bounded segment by clicking the same icon. You cannot export or import addresses to a bounded segment.
Via the Clients>People subtab, filter for participants within a Community Segment if you wish to send them an email, mark their addresses as verified (in batch) or apply a batch fee.
NOTE: If you are performing any of these tasks, repeat for each page of results.
The Community Segments>Maps subtab provides an at a glance view of your segment locations.
The promotion By Community Segment gives eligibility to a discount when the address of the participant has been validated and matches a record within the applicable Community segment.
Only one segment can be added per promotion. Create multiple Community Segment promotions if necessary.
NOTE: Community Segment promotions cannot be applied to private lessons.
Via the Promotions tab, click + New promotion and select 'By Community Segment':
Community Segments: Choose from the list of segments you created. The promotion applies to anyone who shares a validated address within the segment. Keep in mind, even if Google validates an address; it is still up to the client to confirm their address in order to be granted the promotion by community segment. Clients need only confirm their address once (or when their address changes).
Require Address Verification: When accessing a client's account and viewing a participant's address information, you'll notice a box under their address that says: Address verified. This means an admin received physical proof (mail, driver's license, etc.) of a participant's residential address. If you wish, the promotion can only apply if a participant's address has been physically verified.
Display in Store: Toggle to display the promotion in your Store. A promo tag will be visible under the price of the item and its details will show when the client hovers over the promo tag. The promotion is still applied (when eligible) whether it's displayed or not.
In addition to having an address that matches a record in a Community Segment, clients must also have validated (e.g. confirmed) their current address with Google. There are several ways to do this:
- The end-user's account: Via the Members tab, clients can search for an address (for each member). Google auto-populates their address if it is found in its database. Only by auto-populating is the address considered validated.
- An administrator can validate it: Via the Account Members subtab in the client's account, an administrator can search for an address (for each member). Only by auto-populating is the address considered validated.
- After the client chooses an eligible item: When a client chooses a member to enroll in an eligible activity or when selecting any eligible item, Amilia will prompt them to validate their address if it hasn't been done previously. This could be the case if the participant does not have their address in their profile and/ or hasn't updated their address since the address auto-fill feature was implemented.
The promotion applies to each participant that shares a validated address within the applicable segment and have confirmed their address. If a participant's address is missing, Amilia prompts the client to specify the missing address for any account member being enrolled.
- Below, the promo is displayed and its details are shown when hovering over it.
Two participants are chosen for enrollment:
- Sam had previously validated her address in her account. She is not prompted to confirm it again.
- Korektor's address is not recorded in his profile (or was never validated).
- When Korektor is selected, Amilia requests to confirm his address.
- If the address is validated by Google and matches an address in the segment, the promotion will appear on the invoice.
- If the address cannot be validated and/or does not match the segment, it is not eligible.
- At checkout, the promotion is visible for each participant to which it was applied.
NOTE: If a participant has a validated address in their profile that does not match the segment, no option to provide a new one will appear. If the participant's address has not been validated, they will be prompted to confirm it even if it doesn't match the segment. However, they will not be eligible for the promotion.