Create contracts so you can rent out your facilities!
NOTE: The Rentals module has been renamed to Contracts.
Leveraging the Contracts feature is a great way to generate new revenue and maximize profits by renting unused space in your facilities. This module allows you to:
- Create customizable rental contracts;
- Manually reserve rental periods in your Facilities calendar.
- Link price schedules and adjust pricing based on the time of day, week and/or year.
- Create and add extras to your rental contracts (ex: equipment, catering, etc.);
- Email your contracts to clients; and
- Automatically invoice your customers.
A rental contract allows your organization to send reservation details to your client. Clients can approve the contract or discuss changes that need to be made. Once the contract is approved, an invoice is automatically created in the client's account.
You can still reserve a facility without creating a contract. Click here to learn more about booking a facility with (or without) an invoice.
- Ensure facilities and their respective schedules are created in the Facilities module.
- Assign facilities to your activities for accurate availability.
How it Works
A price schedule is a set of price periods that you link to rental contracts and/or facility reservations with an invoice. You may charge for reserving your facility by the hour, by day or a flat fee.
A price period allows you to customize the price per hour (or flat fee) of a reservation based on the date range(s) you specify. Create your price periods according to supply and demand or other criteria of your choice.
Ex: I've created a price schedule for my Recreation Room. It is charged by the hour. I create price periods to specify the amount that is charged during set periods.
Create your price schedules via the Facilities>Price Schedules subtab. Click here to learn how.
Contracts are generated using a contract template. Amilia provides a generic template which you can modify to suit your organization.
Via the Contracts>Templates subtab:
- Download the sample template.
- Your logo and contact information are automatically integrated into the template.
- You may add your Legal Terms on page 3 of the template.
- Name and save your template to your computer.
- Choose a file to upload your saved template and choose the language.
Advanced Customization (Optional)
You can make changes to where information populates on your contract template by adding placeholders and tags in Word:
- Download the sample template.
- Click File>Options>Customize Ribbon and then checkmark Developer.
- Press Ok. A new Developer table is available in the upper toolbar.
- Click on Design Mode to view tags next to the placeholders.
- Write your text, highlight it and then click on Rich Text (Aa) in the toolbar.
- Highlight your text again, click on Properties and ensure your tag matches the permitted control tags (listed below).
An Extra is an item or service that you can add to your rental contract(s) and is intended for organizations who offer additional services or materials when renting out a facility (ex: equipment, staff, catering, cleaning, etc.). It's a great opportunity to increase sales!
Extras can only be included in contract rentals.
Via the Contracts>Extras subtab:
- Select +New Extra.
- Name your extra item and assign a Price, Ledger Code and the Taxes.
- Extras can be edited or archived. Create as many as needed!
- NOTE: Editing won't affect extras in existing contracts (approved or unapproved).
Once your facilities (including their availability), your prices schedule(s), your extras and your contract template(s) are ready, you can rent out your facility using a contract.
There are 3 steps to creating an official contract:
Via the Contracts subtab:
- Click +New Contract.
- Current State: From the moment you build your contract to the moment it is approved, the state will change from Draft to Pending approval to Approved.
- The Contract number is automatically generated. It can be modified.
- Name your contract for easy identification.
- Select your template.
- Select the client to whom the contract is designated. If they don't have an account, you'll be able to +Add new client.
- You'll notice the Facilities, Extras, Custom Fees and Notes section appear, as well as the Control Panel where you'll manage the state of the contract.
NOTE: You may edit a contract up until the point when it's approved by your client.
Remember, you must set up your facilities in order to create a rental contract.
Via the contract:
- Click +Book a Facility and then select an existing facility.
- The facility's schedule will appear underneath.
- Click +New booking; or
- Peruse the calendar for the desired date and time and click and drag your mouse where you want to book.
A New Reservation window will open containing several tabs:
- Schedule Tab: Ensure the proper facility, recurrence and start/end date and time of your contract reservation are properly defined.
- Pricing Tab: Select the price schedule you want to apply to the contract reservation.
- Conflicts Tab: You'll see a icon to alert you of schedule conflicts (if any). The activities and/or reservations causing the conflict will appear. Click on the icon to jump to the configuration screen of the conflicting activity if changes need to be made.
- Save your new reservation. You will see it appear in the facility calendar.
- Scroll back up and click <-Return to contract to go back to the contract configuration window. Your facility and the calculated price will be displayed in the Facilities table.
- If needed, you can manually edit the price of your reservation by clicking on the price box (except when a contract is approved).
Administrators can reserve a facility regardless of conflicts. However, if you want to make changes to existing activities or reservations so that no conflict(s) occur, remember:
- If an activity is causing the conflict, you can edit the conflicting activity occurrence. Click here to learn more.
- If another contract reservation is causing the conflict, find the facility and the reservation via the Facilities>Calendar subtab. You can edit a facility occurrence if need be. You can also select the contract via the Rentals>Contracts subtab and Remove the facility reservation. Create a new one for that contract. You cannot edit a contract that is approved.
- If it's simply a regular facility reservation (with or without an invoice) that is causing the conflict, edit the reservation and its occurrences by clicking on it via the Facilities>Calendar subtab.
If Extras have been created, you can add them to your contract(s).
Via the contract:
- +Add an extra by clicking the button and selecting the item.
- You can edit the Quantity and Price by clicking inside the box. This only affects the extra within the contract.
- You can add and remove extras up until the contract has been approved.
Custom Fees (invoice items) are created via the Account>Invoice subtab.
- Select an existing custom fee from the drop-down. Click here for more information on creating custom invoice items. Add as many as you like!
- Determine the price and tax rules by clicking in the box. Edits can be made until the contract is approved.
Feel free to add Notes which will be displayed on the official contract. If you'd like to add private notes (not visible to the client), you may do so in Admin notes.
Now your contract is ready to be sent to your client for approval!
Before a contract can be invoiced, it must be approved by the client. You will toggle the contract's approval in the Control Panel.
Via the Contracts subtab, click on your contract:
- By default, a contract's current state is set to Draft.
- Click the box 'Change to Pending approval'.
- This changes the state to Pending approval.
- Download the contract (to print) or email it to the client.
- View the Log of actions taken within the contract.
- When the client gives permission, click the box Change to Approved. Note you will be unable to approve a contract unless there's a facility and template assigned to the contract.
- Select Approve & Invoice.
- An invoice is created. Click the invoice number to view it directly in the client's account.
- The invoice is emailed to the client and can be accessed via their user account.
- NOTE: Amilia revenue fees will not exceed 10$ per rental contract.
A contract can be modified while it is in Draft. If the state is Pending approval then simply revert it back to Draft to make your changes.
In Draft you can modify:
- The contract number, its name, the template and the designated client; and
- Assigned Facilities, Extras, Custom Fees and Notes.
At any time (including when a contract is approved) you can modify a facility's individual occurrences. (Ex: If a facility is reserved on Monday for the next 3 weeks, you can change the schedule on a specific Monday occurrence without affecting the other 2 occurrences).
Via the Facilities>Calendar subtab:
- Select the facility and click the applicable occurrence for your rental contract.
- In this example, we want to modify this occurrence on March 28th at 2pm.
- Edit this event to change the schedule for the occurrence. If any other occurrence exists for the reservation, you must repeat the process for each one you want to edit.
- Configure the new date and/or time.
- Save. Changes will be emailed to the client.
Canceling a Contract
Since a rental contract creates an invoice, approved contracts must be canceled via the client's account.
To find the specific contract invoice you can:
- Via the Contracts subtab, click on the Invoice # within the contract; or
- Via the Facilities>Calendar subtab, click on the contract reservation and select 'Cancel the invoice to delete this event'.
- Proceed with canceling the invoice (as usual) in the client's billing account. This will terminate the facility reservation and send a confirmation email to the client.
- Archive the approved contract in the Contracts subtab.
Contracts that are approved or pending approval must be archived if they are no longer needed. A contract in draft can be deleted.
- Facilities Management
- How to Create Price Schedules
- How to Book a Client Reservation for a Facility
- Scheduling Activities and Managing Conflicts
- Canceling a Purchase and Issuing a Refund